Thursday, March 6, 2014

Concept Week #9: Outer Space

(To be completely honest, I'm not sure how this post never made it up.)

This week we tackled Outer Space.  Our poor Outer Space unit...  We've been sitting on it for months and months now, and I still wasn't even 100% sure that we'd get to it this month.  But, here we are!

I printed up a ton of worksheets from education.com - all about astronauts, the planets, some of the space missions, space suits, the moons, the sun, etc.  Plus, there were some math worksheets, some alphabet worksheets, some mazes, and other fun stuff.  All related to outer space.

I was torn over what to do for our project.  We have a neat model kit of the solar system that has been kicking around for years, since before we ever had kids even (if you want the back story it's the exact same one as in our Ancient Egypt unit, only this time it was me who bought the kit and not my mom).  So I was torn between doing that (even though I wasn't sure my kids would be up to it, it looked pretty hard and we have no real place to put it) and another jigsaw puzzle book.  The jigsaw puzzle book won.  Which was fine in the end because they loved it (they always do).

And for our book we read "The Magic Tree House: Midnight on the Moon" by Mary Pope Osborne.  We've never done a chapter book before for our book.  First time for everything, I guess.  Of course, we still haven't read Ancient Greece's chapter book, but that's another story...

Anyway, not much to say except they LOVED the unit.  Also, it led to us talking about how people are currently trying to colonize Mars.  Which led to me telling them that it was a one-way ticket for whoever was picked.  Which led to tears, especially from Bumblebee, because they don't want to move to Mars away from their family, friends, books, movies, toys, etc.  I had to reassure them MULTIPLE times that we weren't going to Mars, and that no one we know is going either.

MULTIPLE times.

So no one had better be going to Mars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...