Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Concept Week #5: Seasons & Weather

So I logged in this morning to talk about Ancient Egypt and work on putting up our new schedule when I realized that I never put up a post about Seasons & Weather.

Whoops.

So, a quick post about this topic (since it's really rather self-explanatory).

Like I said before, this Concept Week was an extension of the previous one, Calendars.

I found a TON of worksheets at education.com talking about seasons, however they were mostly about the holidays that occur during the seasons.  It worked out, though, since I was able to tie in what the holidays meant, and why they were celebrated when they were.  They also had some weather worksheets, but most of them were above my boys or were supposed to be done over the course of a month, so I only printed up a few.

It wound up being a really easy unit, but truthfully that worked out perfectly for us since we had just recovered from falling behind and were looking at doing Ancient Egypt within a few days.

We had another jigsaw puzzle book (called "Wonderful Weather") for our project.  For our story book we used Chip's Favorite Season by Scholastic.  It's a short, rhyming book that talks about how all the seasons are Chip's (from Disney's Beauty and the Beast) favorite for different reasons.  The book actually worked better than some of the worksheets, since the season's weather was fully described.

Even though the unit was real easy and didn't quite work out the way I was planning on I'm still glad we did it.  My kids definitely needed a refresher on some things, and for other things they didn't realize or never made the connection before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...