Saturday, September 7, 2013

Two Week Review: August 16 - 29

Somehow this post got lost in the shuffle of life.  I mean, here we are onto Week 6 and I'm just now getting around to writing up what happened Weeks 3 & 4.  I'm not even sure what happened to provide me with an excuse.  I mean, the house has been finished (except for rearranging artwork and posters) this whole time and yes I was sick during Week 5 and Optimus Prime just got sick this week, however that's actually given me quite a bit of downtime in which internet stuff should of gotten done.

Scooby-Doo is doing fine.  He's finished up his second Colors & Shapes workbook.  It was harder than the first (not that he cared - it's not like he was listening to me while I was reading the directions or anything, he just wanted to scribble!) and not as interesting since there was no cartoon character.  He doesn't even know who Dora is - we don't watch her show and we have none of her books - but he does like her.  Go figure.  While workbooks are in coloring is so Last Week and as for stickers he thinks they taste better than they look on paper.  Sigh.

At least he's still into his schoolwork time.  Also, our goal of three books a day has lead into a renewed interest in his favorite book Cookie Kisses, which after a merciful four month break has now become his favorite book again.  We are back to reading it a dozen times over the course of the day again, as well as another dozen after tuck-in time.  Sigh, again.

Optimus Prime & Bumblebee are doing good.

Optimus Prime's handwriting is getting worse, not sure how.  I'm beginning to think our one-on-one time is going to consist of ABC sheets...

Spanish is doing good.  We are still on colors, but we should be finishing that up by Week 6 and then we can move onto new things.

Science and Geography are as good as ever.  I wish we could do more Geography, but I'll need to find more workbooks first.  They love the subject, though, and always want to do more.

English was a lot better these two weeks, so that was a relief.  Soon we will be done with their current workbook, ready to move onto a new which means we'll get to rehash everything and see if they've figured some stuff out yet or not.

Math these two weeks was no addition and subtraction, and plenty of patterns and shapes.  I don't know why.  Yes, the shapes schoolwork is going to turn into fractions schoolwork but for crying out loud, they are in first grade - they know their damn shapes!  We don't need two pages of review for each individual shape - where we COLORED (?!?) them - followed by a few pages of counting stars and moons.  I mean those pages looked like something in a pre-k workbook and they bored my kids.  It was more basic than the shapes schoolwork Scooby-Doo is currently doing.  As for patterns, when you get to first grade simple two color patterns are boring.  They didn't even enjoy patterns that simple in kindergarten.  I'm done complaining.  I do want to add that for our quizzes in Math we did addition and subtraction even though we didn't cover those subjects at all.  It amazes me how well Bumblebee had has his addition and subtraction down, considering we didn't do them at all for two weeks.  He got almost every question correct.  Optimus Prime, however, definitely needs to work on his subtraction.

Reading is going okay, still.  Same with Spelling.  Sigh.  I'm just impatient.  I love reading and can't wait until my kids connect the dots in their heads and figure it out.

Art is the same as always.  Some days they like it, other days it bores them.

They finally won me over with their Logic argument.  No puns about them winning me over logically, I was just tired of listening to them complain about it!  If they want the extra schoolwork then they can have it!  We now do logic every schoolwork day and twice on Saturday.

About our Concept Week we did start it Week 4, however we didn't finish it then.  So I'll tell you more about it in the next Two Week Review.

That about sums it up.  Our curriculum is updated if you want to check it out.  My husband FINALLY got his work schedule so I had to fix ours.  Plus, with doing extra Logic schoolwork it made sense to update the page.  Also, my aunt sent me a bunch of workbooks for all three, which has me thinking that maybe next quarter Scooby-Doo will start doing other subjects too.  Maybe he'll like some patterns or numbers or something.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...