Wednesday, July 10, 2013

What We Are Reading & Quarterly Curriculum Update

I decided to make a new page about the books our family is reading.  No one (well, except for me and Coffee Hound) is reading anything on their own yet, so right now the page is just reflecting what we are reading together as a family.  I threw in the books that we read in June as well as the ones we have read so far in July.  It's a shorter list than normal for us, but with 2 family vacations this month and my mom visiting us next week it's going to stay short.  I'll post the books as we read them but probably completely delete the list at the beginning of each quarter.  Or maybe I'll make a second page of book series we've read together.  I'm not sure.  I think I like the second idea more...   On a side note I just got my copy of What Your First Grader Needs To Know by E. D. Hirsch Jr. and I'm excited to dig into it - when I can find the time!

Also, I updated the Quarterly Curriculum page to tell you how many pages of schoolwork we do for each subject.  That seemed like it would probably be helpful.  However, keep in mind that this is just a guideline.  Do what works for you and your family.  I found my kid's limit, so that is what we do.  When I push them to do more it just becomes an uphill battle where they learn nothing and no one has any fun.

Dinosaur Week also wrapped up today.  I'll post about that soon.  I have to say I'm glad.  Bumblebee especially loved it but I was getting tired of trying to speak Latin!  However, their desire to keep so many pages of their dinosaur schoolwork has led me to think of a new project for them that we'll spend all day Friday tackling...

Lastly, so far I've figured out our curriculum for the next quarter and I have all of our books except for one which I'm still waiting on to ship.  I have our English lesson plan completely mapped out for the next three months, our Spelling Units word lists written up (but no worksheets yet), and I'm currently working on our Math lesson plan.  I still have a ways to go and only a couple of weeks left to do it in so I'm not sure how much I am going to be online for the rest of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...